As a hands-on financial executive with over 25 years of CFO and controller experience, John Autrey specializes in providing seasoned financial management leadership to small technology development, service, and distribution companies. Currently, Mr. Autrey serves as the part-time CFO for PharmatrophiX, an early-stage drug discovery company, and Carolina Advanced Digital, an IT network security company. Read what his clients have to say about him: Client Testimonials.
Mr. Autrey brings a strong background in assisting early-stage companies build cost-effective administrative and financial infrastructures and develop solid investor relationships. In this capacity, he leverages extensive experience in accounting functions, financial planning, cash management, mergers and acquisitions, debt restructuring, raising capital, and human resources oversight.
A North Carolina native, Mr. Autrey received his bachelor’s degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and his MBA from Wake Forest University. Additionally, he is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants.
- John co-founded Rankin McKenzie in 2002. In addition to his work with PharmatrophiX and Carolina Advanced Digital, he has been the CFO for TEM Systems, Inc. (medical device), Paidion Research (CRO), Oncoscope, Inc. (medical device), Quill Medical (medical device), BioAgilytix Labs (CRO), HexaTech (semiconductor), and INI Power Systems (fuel cell).
- From 1998 to 2001, served as CFO and Treasurer for Pliant Systems, Inc., a NASDAQ-traded telecommunications company, where he prepared annual and five-year business plans in a dynamic operating environment and presented to board of directors, investors, and bankers. He also coordinated the preparation of a $60 million placement offering with investment bankers.
- From 1996 to 1998, was a Partner of Tatum CFO Partners, LLP. In this role, Mr. Autrey served as part-time CFO or part-time co-CFO for several emerging growth and start-up companies. He assisted in successful negotiations with legal counsel to sell a three-year-old start-up company to a large, publicly traded company and negotiated equipment lease credit lines in excess of half a million dollars.
- From 1990 to 1997, worked as Vice President of Finance and Administration for IKON in Raleigh, a subsidiary of IKON Office Solutions (now Ricoh). As VP, he negotiated the break-up of a $24 million office equipment subsidiary, negotiated the purchase of a $2 million privately held office equipment distributor, and was responsible for all due diligence.
- From 1975 to 1981, Mr. Autrey gained early financial management experience at Price Waterhouse (now PriceWaterhouseCoopers) and a local Winston-Salem, NC based CPA firm.