Jon Kennedy, CPA/MBA is a Partner with Rankin McKenzie, LLC. As an operationally focused financial executive with over 30 years of experience, Mr. Kennedy has a unique background ranging from privately held start-ups to publicly traded Fortune 500 companies. He started his career with KPMG and subsequently worked as the CFO for 4 different companies in the Healthcare, Technology and Services industries. Mr. Kennedy also worked in senior financial management for the largest CRO in the world. Most recently, he provided part-time CFO and financial consulting services to entrepreneurial companies. In addition to his diverse accounting, finance and business background, Mr. Kennedy has extensive experience in managing human resources, information technology, procurement, risk management and administrative functions.
Highlights of Mr. Kennedy’s broad experience include:
- Accounting – Technical, Operational and Financial Reporting
- Financial Planning & Analysis – Including Financial Modeling, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Strategic Planning
- Capital Raising – Private Equity, Debt and Public Offerings
- Treasury, Banking and Cash Management
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Deal Structure, Due Diligence and Integration
- Business Partnering – Senior Management, Investors and Board Members
Originally from Connecticut, Mr. Kennedy has been a North Carolina native since he was a teenager. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and obtained an MBA from Duke University.
- Joined Rankin McKenzie as a Partner in 2021.
- From 2020 – 2021, was a self-employed financial consultant providing part-time CFO and financial consulting services to companies in the healthcare, technology and services industries.
- From 2006 – 2019, worked as Vice President, Finance of IQVIA Holdings, a Fortune 500 company and the largest CRO in the world. Responsibilities included corporate accounting, business accounting, billing & accounts receivable, accounts payable, travel & expense accounting procurement, payroll, and financial planning & analysis support for global overhead groups. In addition, Mr. Kennedy was responsible for many Treasury functions and was a key participant in obtaining, and reporting on, a $300M secured credit facility. Mr. Kennedy was also a key team member in the successful acquisition and integration of several companies.
- From 2000 – 2006, served as the Chief Financial Officer of Micell Technologies, a private equity backed start-up technology company. Responsibilities included all financial, human resources, information technology and administrative functions. Accomplishments included raising over $30M through several stock offerings and successfully closing joint development, research and loan agreements which provided $10M in funding. Mr. Kennedy was also a key participant in starting up and growing a franchise system utilizing the company’s proprietary technology to approximately 20 franchisees, over 50 locations, and $20M in revenues.
- From 1998 – 2000, he was the Chief Financial Officer of Gale Force Holdings, a privately held sports and services group which owned or managed 3 sports franchises and 3 arenas, including the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League. Responsibilities included all financial, human resources, information technology and administrative functions. Accomplishments included managing a $250M credit facility, being part of the management team involved in the building and subsequent staffing of 2 arenas, and putting in place the financial and administrative infrastructure necessary to support this growth.
- From 1996 – 1998, worked as the Chief Financial Officer of Digital Recorders, a publicly traded technology company. Responsibilities included accounting, human resources, information technology, investor relations and SEC reporting. Accomplishments included working with other members of the management team to more than double the company’s revenues as well as being a lead in the acquisition and integration of a company headquartered in Germany.
- From 1993 – 1996, held 3 roles at Sterling Healthcare, a publicly traded healthcare company, including Chief Financial Officer of the Company’s largest business unit, Vice President, Corporate Controller and Chief Accounting Officer, and Vice President of Planning & Analysis. The Company’s revenues almost doubled during Mr. Kennedy’s tenure there. Accomplishments included being a key team member in several successful merger & acquisition activities and secondary stock offerings along with ensuring numerous filings were made with the SEC in an accurate and timely manner.
- From 1984 – 1993, held several roles of increasing responsibility, including Senior Manager, with KPMG. Mr. Kennedy primarily provided auditing and consulting services to companies in the healthcare and technology industries.