Tom Mense began his career with a Fortune 100 steel producer and throughout his career has worked with both publicly held and private domestic, as well as international companies. Mr. Mense has led accounting departments, managed both Human Resources and IT groups and played key roles at the executive management level. In addition to accounting, Mr. Mense has been responsible for treasury management, banking relationships and negotiations, insurance requirements, employee benefits and legal affairs.
Mr. Mense is a CPA licensed in North Carolina and has over 30 years’ experience in software, technology, manufacturing, insurance, professional services, commercial and residential construction, and land development. His current clients are Hoffman Nursery, Raleigh Neurosurgical Clinic, Inc., the most experienced neurosurgical team in Raleigh and Central North Carolina, and Shepherd Response, LLC, a general contracting construction company that provides long term disaster recovery. Read the praises his clients say about him here: Client Testimonials.
Mr. Mense is an operationally focused, hands-on leader with significant experience in the following areas:
- Cash Flow Management & Enhancement
- ERP Implementations
- Establishment of Internal Controls
- Financial Management
- Organizational Restructuring
- Development & Implementation of Operational Improvement Plans
- Due Diligence
- M&A (sell side)
- Financial Modeling & Budgeting
- Corporate Strategy
A native of Ohio, Mr. Mense graduated from Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio and holds a BSBA in Accounting and an MBA concentrating in Finance. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accounts and the North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants.
- 2010 to 2021 – Provided fractional accounting and business advisory services to small to midmarket companies through his company, Mense CFO Services LLC. His clients included professional services firms, a technology company, a SaaS software company, a manufacturer of implantable fabrics for medical devices and electronic security integration companies.
- 1998 to 2010 – Worked with multiple companies including a title insurance underwriter, Investors Title Insurance Company as Vice President of Finance, an aerospace manufacturer, Tecstar, Inc. as Director of Business Management and a software startup, TrackEquity LLC as Director of Finance. He was responsible for the development of business plans, the negotiation of banking and finance arrangements, the development of both internal and external financial reporting, cash flow management, human resources, Inventory control, product costing, contract management and financial oversight.
- From 1996 to 1998 – Controller for Quality Software Products, a publicly held accounting software developer based in the United Kingdom. Mr. Mense was the primary financial officer for operations in the US with responsibility for all areas of accounting, insurance, banking arrangements, facilities management, Immigration, and contract administration.
- From 1984 to 1996 – Assistant Controller for Buehler Products, a fractional horsepower DC motor manufacturer. Mr. Mense managed the accounting team in NC and focused on product profitability, improved financial reporting and the integration of operations and computer systems.
- From 1979 to 1984 – Mr. Mense worked with Armco Steel, a Fortune 100 steel producer based in Middletown Ohio.