Kathy Huff is a Partner with Rankin McKenzie LLC. As a financial executive with over 20 years of experience, Ms. Huff provides CFO / Controller services to her clients in the areas of overall accounting and financial reporting, financial modeling, forecasting and cash flow planning, and developing and maintaining business relationships with banks and insurance companies.
Ms. Huff has worked with a variety of small emerging growth companies and gained valuable experience in the areas of manufacturing, retail, and service industries. She has also served non-profits including a local triangle area country club and the NC State University Wolf Pack Club. She loves helping companies envision what they can become and by developing financial models and forecasts Ms. Huff has helped her companies make decisions for the future and work through cash flow issues that sometimes occur in the start-up world.
Before teaming up with Rankin McKenzie, Ms. Huff served as CFO for a manufacturing company in Oxford, NC. She was responsible for all financial reporting, budgeting and forecasting, insurance and banking relationships as well as assisting human resources with various issues. Special projects are a welcome challenge and Ms. Huff successfully completed several while serving as CFO.
A native of Ohio, Ms. Huff attended West Virginia University, where she earned her B.S.B.A. in Accounting and was a member of the women’s basketball team for four years. She passed the CPA exam while working for Ernst & Young in Columbus, Ohio.
- Joined Rankin McKenzie as Partner in 2019.
- Prior to joining Rankin McKenzie, Ms. Huff served as CFO for a manufacturing company in Oxford, NC. She was responsible for all financial reporting, creating budgets and cash flow projections, negotiating contracts, and developing and maintaining positive banking relationships. She worked closely with Human Resources and was involved in hiring and other human resource issues as they arose. Projects successfully tackled included documenting, negotiating and collecting large, aged accounts receivable that had been in dispute prior to her arrival, as well as renegotiating contracts and pricing with large customers.
- From 2014 to 2017, Ms. Huff worked as a consultant for a software company, online retailer, university foundation and country club providing Controller or CFO services. She also took the lead on special projects as they arose.
- From 2007 to 2014, Ms. Huff served as Controller for Replay Photos, an online sports photo retailer for Division 1 colleges and the NFL. She was responsible for all financial reporting, cash flow forecasting, budget-to-actual performance analysis, and royalty payments and communications with Licensing Directors at universities and top brands including AP, Getty Images and the NFL. She was heavily involved in preparing documents for “due diligence” during Replay’s acquisition and worked closely with the President, brokers and attorneys in preparation for this acquisition.
- From 1995 to 2007, Ms. Huff owned a small accounting/tax CPA practice serving small companies and individuals focused on financial planning and tax preparation.
- From 1993 to 1994, Ms. Huff worked for the public accounting firm of Gruenloh & Moore in Gulf Shores, Alabama. She performed reviews and prepared tax returns for a variety of small businesses.
- From 1988 to 1993, Ms. Huff owned a small CPA practice while living in Columbus, Ohio and Santa Clarita, California. She served small corporations and partnerships and was involved in their day to day accounting as well as tax planning and preparation.
- From 1982 to 1988, Ms. Huff began her career with Ernst & Young in Columbus, Ohio. She spent most of her career in the Tax and Small Business division overseeing reviews and the related preparation of corporate and partnership tax returns, and at the time she left EY she had served as a Tax Manager for over 2 years. She had the unique opportunity for 8 months to work closely with EY’s national tax department assisting in the research and document preparation for a client as they went through a merger and subsequent public offering.