Robert McKenzie co-founded Rankin McKenzie, LLC in 2002 along with Lawson Rankin and John Autrey. Since that time, Mr. McKenzie has served as a Managing Partner with the firm through which he provides seasoned financial expertise and management leadership. Mr. McKenzie focuses his professional efforts in growing and leading his client companies as their CFO. As an accomplished CFO with over 30 years of experience, Mr. McKenzie’s financial, strategic and leadership expertise has had a substantial impact on the success of his manufacturing, IT, pharmaceutical, healthcare, professional services companies and banking. Currently, Mr. McKenzie serves as the part-time CFO for Constellation, a technology company and Bateman Civil Survey Company, an engineering firm.
Mr. McKenzie’s CFO strengths include such crucial skills as:
- Demonstrating excellent attention to detail;
- Building steady trust with management, employees, customers, vendors and investors;
- Operating with a strong sense of integrity and truthfulness;
- Utilizing his effective, accurate and persuasive communication skills;
- Building teams and leading others through strong people skills including honesty, listening, patience, trust, teaching and relating to others;
- Driving the details to a successful completion;
- Delivering timely results through proactive problem solving and accountability;
- Thinking strategically while being able to roll-up his sleeves to get the job done;
- Providing thoughtful and wise counsel to his clients.
A North Carolina licensed CPA, Mr. McKenzie has developed a broad and diverse business management background. He has been responsible for overall financial management of companies, including accounting operations, financial reporting, cash management, forecasting, human resources, treasury and investor relations functions. Mr. McKenzie is especially adept at being a hands-on problem-solver for his clients. He is a leader who develops and implements financial, accounting and operational solutions to address his clients’ challenges and problems. Additionally, Mr. McKenzie has successfully raised numerous rounds of venture capital for his early stage clients. For his growth stage clients, he has effectively structured a variety of debt, leasing and equity programs to fund their expansion. Most recently, Mr. McKenzie was responsible for the successful turnaround of a large troubled manufacturer. Through the numerous financial, managerial and operational improvements he led, the company was able to triple sales, double headcount and turn its insolvent balance sheet into a strong financial foundation.
A native North Carolinian, Mr. McKenzie attended Wofford College where he earned a Bachelor’s in Economics graduating Magna Cum Laude. He attended Wake Forest University where he earned a Master’s in Business Administration with Distinction. He serves as an Advisory Board Member of BBVA Compass, is a member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and the North Carolina Association of CPAs.
- McKenzie co-founded Rankin McKenzie in 2002. His clients have included Majestic Marble and Glass Company (manufacturer), Drug Safety Alliance (pharmaceutical services), CipherOptics (IT hardware), Slate Pharmaceuticals (pharmaceuticals), Field2Base (software), Bateman Civil Survey (business services), Sengenix (medical diagnostics) and Carolina Solar Services (solar operations).
- From 2000 to 2002, served as Chief Financial Officer for Bloodhound Technologies, a premier provider of real-time pre-adjudication claims editing for healthcare payers. Mr. McKenzie successfully led three rounds of venture capital investments totaling $25 million.
- From 1999 to 2000, served as Chief Financial Officer for TekSell.com an E-commerce B2B auction exchange for IT equipment. McKenzie was responsible for numerous financings including preferred stock and convertible debt.
- From 1995 to 1999, served initially as Director of Finance and then Chief Financial Officer of CLG, Inc., a computer and software leasing company with an asset portfolio of $424 million located in 49 states. Mr. McKenzie led the successful sale of the company to a regional bank.
- From 1982 to 1995, held various progressing positions with Wachovia and BB&T banks responsible for corporate loan and deposit portfolios.